13 Feb 2012

My Brussels 201

One month (and a bit) in Brussels and what catches my attention now?
- many restaurants are closed on Sunday.  I don't think it's for religious reasons but rather that Belgians stay home with their families on Sunday.  Only restaurants in the tourist area of Brussels are open.
- footwear is very important here.  People assess you by the shoes you wear!  I hardly see any running shoes.  The shoestore windows are outstanding and the boots the women wear are pretty cool.  Want to spot a tourist?  He/she is either wearing sturdy walking shoes or running shoes :)
- there are not many bikes.  This is not Holland.  That surprizes me but apparently, the Belgians are not into fitness as we are.  Maybe there'll be more when the weather warms up...
- Belgians say "s'il vous plaît" for "you're welcome" or "here you are" or "merci/thank-you".
- men and women's restrooms in restaurants often share the same sink area to wash hands.  It's a bit of a surprize at first when you see a man come out of a cubicle facing you!
- street lights are most often fixed to the buildings so as not to take up sidewalk space.
- believe it or not, after 10 p.m., the music playing in the subway stations is classical!  I can stand waiting for a subway and listen to a Mozart sonata!  Amazing!
- I can treat myself to a fresh bouquet of 10 tulips every week for only 5 euros!  There are vendors all over the place.
- Belgian fries are the best in Europe.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog, Nancy. It's fascinating to follow your "year" in Belgium. May the Lord bless you richly.

    ReplyDelete