25 Mar 2012

Musical architecture

I have always been intrigued by Tiffany lamps.  Their exquisite softness has always fascinated me.  Now I know where this style comes from!!

I have been introduced to "Art nouveau" and it has blown me away.  It is a style of art, architecture and applied art - especially the decorative arts - that was popular from 1890 to about 1910 and was inspired by natural forms and structures, not only in flowers and plants but also in curved lines.

It was most popular in Europe but Louis Comfort Tiffany, overwhelmed by this new art, brought it to America and reproduced it in his famous stained glass lamps and windows.

Victor Horta was one of the key European Art Nouveau architects, and the most important one in Belgium.  He was the first to introduce the style to architecture from the decorative arts.  I visited his home which is now a museum.  The harmony of form, material and colour was breathtaking, the balance between the different spaces and the variations in rising and falling levels and perspectives was musical.  I wish I could have taken you with me and I wish we had been allowed to take pictures  because words defy a description of its exquisite beauty - right down to the keyholes and the letter box!

The sculptured stonework, the paintings, the curved ironwork, the stained glass, the bowed balconies and the soft lines catch my eye all over the city.  I have created a web album of some of the houses I've seen.  I hope you enjoy looking at these musical works of art.

3 comments:

  1. This architecture is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your photo album with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the album, Nancy. Wonderful photos. The art nouveau style is delightful. Victor Horta's home will definitely be on my list of places to see if I make it back to Brussels someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy,
    I read all your posts for the first time today. You sure are a busy person! The cultural stuff is really intersting. I'm feeling much better now - just a bit of digestive problems left to deal with. I go back to work on April 23rd. I'm a bit nervous about that - it's been 6 months!

    I'm glad that you are well and enjoying yourself. Andrew is lucky to have you.

    Love,
    Linda Wilcott

    ReplyDelete