2 Aug 2012

BEAR HUGS

July was a month of bear hugs and did I ever need them!!

It's strange how the need creeps up on you to be with someone that knows you for more than six months, to be hugged, really hugged by someone who loves you and be surrounded by dear ones who love you.

That need was met big time in July: I went back to Canada and drank in being loved on :)

I will be celebrating a rather important milestone birthday in August and since I'll be in Brussels for that occasion, family and friends at home decided that NOW was a good time for a party!

So, my women friends at my church in Repentigny had a fun birthday breakfast for me, complete with fancy hat, streamers and napkins, good food and lots of laughter.


And my dear sister Kathy brought all my Klinck family together at her farm in the Eastern Townships.  Caden and Chris and his family were able to come too, as were my niece Alison and her family from Ottawa. It was a great week-end of eating super meals, sharing laughter and walks and playing with the children.  I was spoiled!


Travelling up highway 401 from Montreal to Ontario has always been easy for me because it means a family wedding, concert, play, party or visit on the other end.  But this time the party was for me :) 
About 30 of my Hill family relatives gathered at Gerry and Carolynn Heeney's home in the Ingersoll countryside for a birthday picnic.  How I love family gatherings!  I get to see, talk to, laugh with and get caught up with people I love........what could be better?! 


My cup was overflowing with all the love and bear hugs I had shared during my holidays.  I got to watch my grandson play soccer and to splash in the water with my granddaughter.  I gathered flowers for Mummy with Donovan and tickled Gabrielle.  We ate ice-cream and hotdogs and played soccer together - making memories.

And squeezed in between all this fun was a terrific week in New York City where I taught language acquisition techniques to the new group of 55 missionaries going out into the world as Christ's servants from the Presbyterian Church of America.  I always enjoy doing this and it's a privilege to serve them in this way.  It's the 8th time I've taught this course!

An Air Canada jet brought me back to my home away from home in Brussels  I smiled to myself as I got off the plane, into the train, then in and out of the subway and said: "I"m at home here.  I have my place here for a while.  Thank-you, Lord, for this privilege and may I continue to be a blessing to those You have sent me to serve here."

As breath of God upon my heart
When I am far away,
As Gilead's soothing balm that heals
My homesickness this day.
As worry for the ones I leave
Behind me all alone
Melts into trust in You who reign
On high upon Your throne.
So all I need to do is walk
Into the pattern planned,
And trust the ones I love so much
Into Your nail-pierced hands.
(Jill Briscoe)

No comments:

Post a Comment