2 Aug 2013

FUN WITH PILAT

PILAT?  Program in Language Acquisition Techniques

That's the name of the program that I teach each January and July to the new missionaries of the Presbyterian Church of America: in January here in Brussels and in July in New York City.

I don't teach them how to learn a language: I help them see that NOT knowing a language when one arrives, is not a liability but the entrance into the community where they will be working, if they present themselves as a 'learner'.  I give them techniques, projects and tools to help them take advantage of this, using the community and neighbourhood around them to learn culture and language.  I take language learning out of the classroom and into the life of the community.

We always have fun.  The participants don't come prepared to 'play at learning' and they really enjoy the course.  AND, they finish the course with enthusiasm to "get at it"!  That's my reward.

                                                  some of the participants

I have the best group of people to help me with different aspects of the course: they are all on the Mission to the World staff, and former missionaries themselves.  We have the best time together and great laughs, whether it be in New York or in Brussels.


                                  Peter, Minette, Bruce & Susan, Mischa & Jeff

PILAT is part of the final 4-week cross-cultural training for these people.  From here, they head out overseas.

I stayed in an apartment in Queens for my week and had the most breath-taking view of the Manhattan skyline: so different in the morning from the evening!  The temperatures for the first few days were in the 40s (Celcius) and you can 'see' the heat in my morning photos.




After a super week-end with my sister Kathy in Philadelphia, I took the plane back to Brussels, my home away from home .... to be welcomed by a heat wave à la Brussels: 32 to 34o Celcius (95-ish), the highest temperature for this time of year since the 1800s!!  and no air-conditioning :(

1 comment:

  1. I would love to be one of your students...sounds like an amazing course!!
    Gill

    ReplyDelete